Saturday, April 19, 2008

You spin me right round, baby, right round

For about eight years now I have wanted a record player and finally, as an early birthday present, I received one today.

It turned out to be perfect timing, as April 19 was National Record Store day. So, in lieu of this little-known holiday, I dutifully ran to the nearest Graywhale and stocked up on all kinds of vinyl goodies.

It seems silly in a world of mp3's and iPods to covet something so retro, but trust me there is nothing quite like listening to music from a record. Each sound is magnified and every crackle and skip makes it somehow more authentic.

Plus, my dad pointed out as we listened to his master copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon given to him by a roadie for the band, records force you to enjoy the ENTIRE album. Every song, every word, every note. There is no skipping with records, no picking and choosing. Rather than being bits and pieces made from hopeful hits, an album has to be cohesive and a work of art in it's entirety.


Unwittingly my dad had imparted some of the truest wisdom concerning the state of music today. It's tailored for those with musical A.D.D. who want a quick 2:45 song that fits nicely in an iPod shuffle play list. As I searched through my music collection I faced the sad truth, music just ain't what it used to be.

That's not to say all is lost, there is still quite a few bands out there who strive to make a record that exudes musical magic from start to finish. To them, I say thank you for making records worthy of playing from start to finish...preferably on a record player.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Amanda, you are an amazingly good write. You really are.